UAN Member Portal - Login, Passbook, Registration, & How to Activate
A Universal Account Number, or UAN, is a specific and unique identification number issued by the Ministry of Labour and Employment and assigned to every member of the Employees' Provident Fund Organization or EPFO. The UAN is a 12-digit unique number.
As a member, you can have only one UAN during the tenure, and all your EPF accounts will be linked to that UAN. If you change your job, there could be changes in your EPF account number or Member ID number, but the UAN remains the same.
If, at a given point, the member has accidentally been assigned two UAN IDs, the same should be immediately reported to the employer and EPFO so that the old UAN can be deactivated and the EPF corpus can be transferred to the new UAN PF account.
What is the UAN Member Portal?
The UAN member portal, also called the UAN Member e-Sewa Portal, is for the convenience of salaried individuals, who are now allowed to access their PF accounts, KYC and service details, view and download EPF passbook, transfer PF accounts, and withdraw PF funds, using their unique UAN login details.
Here we will find out about the various services processed through the UAN member portal.
Registration of UAN For A New Employee
Businesses with more than 20 employees must complete the EPF UAN registration online. Institutions should follow the process below for first-time workers to generate a new UAN.
Step 1 – The employer must sign in and access the EPFO member login with their company ID and password.
Step 2 – They must go to the Members Section and select "Register individual".
Step 3 – The employer must enter all employee details, including Aadhar card, PAN card, and bank details.
Step 4 - After accepting all the details, a new UAN will be generated.
Step 5 – This unique 12-Digit newly generated UAN should be linked to the employee's PF accounts using the online services of EPFO.
How Can Employees Know Their UAN?
It is very easy for employees to find out their UAN. They can either contact the human resources team of their organization or ask for their UAN. The other way is to check their monthly salary slips. Their unique number will be mentioned there.
Why Is UAN Relevant to Employees?
There are many reasons why UAN is significant for an employee. Some of these reasons are:
- Till the end of their employment term, the unique UAN will stay with them, and they will have access to all their PF details.
- If there are any deposits, payments, or withdrawals from the PF account, employees would need the UAN to verify such transactions. These monetary transactions can be directly processed by the employees using their UAN without the intervention of their employers.
- Employees now have free access to their PF accounts thanks to online procedures and facilities like the UAN portal. This makes it convenient for them to track their monthly deposits, estimate their balance, and plan for the long term considering their PF accounts. However, to gain access to ask this, the employees need to be registered with the EPFO.
Advantages of UAN To Employees
UAN is a global number and consolidates the PF funds of the employees, irrespective of the number of employers they have worked for. Several PF Ids may have been generated by different employers and institutions for which the employee may have worked. UAN consolidates all these accounts into one, using which the employee can handle several activities.
- It is a big advantage as employees can process their KYC using their UAN.
- Employees also benefit from modifying the date of a prior company's leaving. They can also fill the candidacy marks in the contingency of death or retirement.
- The biggest advantage is that whenever in need of emergency finances, the employee can request funds from the PF account.
- Employees can use the EPFO site to retain all the PF accounts of the previous establishments they have worked for and merge them into one consolidated PF account.
Generating UAN Using Aadhaar Card Through the UAN Member Portal
You only need your UIDAI-registered mobile number and Aadhar card details to generate a UAN. Follow these steps:
Step 1 – You must open the UAN portal for employees and select "Online Aadhaar Verified UAN allotment"
Step 2 - Then you can enter the Aadhaar card number and click on "Generate OTP"
Step 3 – After punching in the OTP that you will receive on your mobile, you can edit or modify or note down any details regarding your UAN
Step 4 – Employees can also click on "Register" to generate a new UAN
UAN Activation Process to Log in to the UAN Member Portal
To activate a UAN, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1 – Go to the homepage of the UAN portal
Step 2 – You can look for the "Activate UAN" link and click on it. You can find this link under "Important Links" in the right-hand corner.
Step 3 – Fill in the important details and information that the next page will ask for, and then you can click on "Generate Authorization PIN"
Step 4 – You will receive the PIN on your mobile number. As soon as you enter the PIN, you can activate the UAN and log in to the UAN member portal using a new password. You can also change this password as it is system-generated and keep one you can easily remember.
Mandatory Documents Required to Get Your UAN
To get your Universal Account Number (UAN), you must have the following documents:
- Banking information
- ID Proof like the driving license, passport, etc.
- PAN card, which is linked to your UAN
- A linked Aadhaar card to your phone number and bank account
- (ESIC) Employees' State Insurance Corporation card
- Address Proof like your phone/electricity/gas bill, rental agreement, etc.
Know About Key UAN Portal Services
There are a host of services that the member can enjoy using the UAN portal:
UAN member portal Services allow you to:
- Check and edit your personal information in the 'PROFILE' section, which is available with EPFO.
- View your 'SERVICE HISTORY' with all previous organizations you have worked for.
- Preview and Download your 'UAN CARD' and EPF' PASSBOOK.'
You can use this service to access or modify the following:
- Your basic information and contact details like Email ID and mobile number.
- KYC information.
- Update/Enter nominee information.
- Update date of exit while changing jobs.
- You can 'change the password' for your EPF member account.
- You can use it to access various EPFO offerings.
This section of the EPF passbook portal Services enables you to partially or fully withdraw funds from your EPF account, provided your UAN is linked with your Aadhar details. This section is synced with Form-31, 19, 10C & 10D.
Under the One Member – One EPF Account regime, you can now consolidate all your previous PF accounts and merge them into one.
You can use the UAN member portal Services to track the progress of any claim for withdrawing funds from your PF account.
Download Annexure K
Annexure K is normally used by PF trust to quicken the transfer of PF accounts. You can download this to access:
- Member details
- Service History
- PF accumulations with interest
- Date of Joining
- Date of exit
- Member IDs from the past and present
Various Benefits and Applications Of UAN
There are several advantages and applications of the UAN member portal. It is not only accessible to employees but helps in resolving several other functions:
- The introduction of UAN reduced early withdrawal of PFs, and employees could now track and view their PF savings through the EPF passbook portal.
- EPFO can now obtain an employee's bank details and KYC using the UAN member portal without involving the employer.
- EPFO can use UAN to track an individual's employment history.
- Employers can access and centralize employee data across India using UAN.
- With the UAN, it has become more convenient and much easier to verify the identity of employees, which was previously troublesome.
About De-Activating UANs
When an employee changes employers, the employee receives a new Member ID. However, under normal circumstances, the UAN remains the same. Multiple UAN cases arise because of some scenarios. Some of the common scenarios are:
- When an employer considers an employee a new employee and does not know about the previous work experience, they may request a new UAN to be issued to the employee. In this case, they would have 2 UANs.
- Suppose the employee doesn't intentionally inform the current employer about their previous employer. In that case, the registration will be done as a new employee, and 2 UANs will be issued to the specific employee.
- Suppose the previous employer does not mention or update the employee's last working date on the ECR - Electronic Challan and Return. In that case, the new employer could generate a fresh UAN for the employee.
If multiple UANs are assigned, the employee must deactivate all old UANs and consolidate funds to the new UAN.
About Merging UANs
The following method is an ideal way of merging UANs because it's quick and it's automated. Here is what you need to do as an employee:
Step 1: You must apply to EPFO through a written/downloaded application to merge your PF account into the new UAN.
Step 2: When the application is submitted, EPFO automatically selects the old UAN, and after thorough verification, it deactivates the old UAN.
Step 3: Upon deactivation, the funds in the old UAN will be transferred to the new UAN, and you will be notified through an SMS.
Step 4: The EPFO will ask you to activate a new UAN.
Step 1: Notify your employer or EPFO of multiple UANs.
Step 2: Write an email from your registered email id to UANEPF@EPFindia.gov.in stating that you have multiple UANs and want to merge them.
Step 3: EPFO performs validation to process the request.
Step 4: Once verified, the old UAN will be deactivated.
Step 5: To migrate your EPF account from the old UAN to the new UAN, you will need to submit a separate request.
How to Integrate Multiple PF Accounts into One UAN
EPFO has enabled the employees to integrate all their PF accounts (up to 10 accounts) and their respective funds into one integrated UAN. You can access the One Employee One EPF Account service in the following ways:
- You need your UAN handy.
- The current employer must complete KYC.
- Include bank account number and IFSC code.
- Your current EPF account must be linked to UAN.
- Your Aadhar and PAN card numbers must be linked to your UAN.
- After enabling UAN, wait 3 days for the merging of PF Accounts.
How to Merge PF Accounts
Step 1: Visit the EPFO or UAN Member Portal.
Step 2: From the Our Services tab, click on Employees.
Step 3: Click on the One Employee One EPF Account link.
Step 4: Enter your details and click the Generate OTP button. An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number linked to UAN.
Step 5: Enter your old EPF ID, accept the statement and click the Submit button.
More Information About the UAN Member Portal
A lot of information can be viewed through EPFO's UAN Member Portal. From the EPFO member login screen, enter your username and password to log in. After logging in, you can view the following information on the View tab.
- You can view your complete EPF profile, including UAN, Name, Date of Birth, Gender, Aadhaar, PAN, Bank Account Number, Mobile Number, Email, etc.
- The Service History tab provides details such as institution name, institution ID, and date of joining and leaving EPF and EPS.
- UAN cards can be downloaded for offline PF withdrawals.
- Transfer the PF amount from the previous account to the specified current account.
- The Manage tab allows you to add/edit your email ID and registered mobile number.
- On the Online Services tab, you can use Forms 31, 19, and 10C to request full or partial payment of PF.
- EPF Passbook can be accessed from the View tab.
- You can access UAN Customer Support Details.
- You can upload your KYC details.
The UAN member portal has made it easy for organizations and employees to manage their EPFO accounts conveniently. Organizations can track and consolidate the previous PF accounts for old employees and generate a new UAN for the new ones.
Employees can access their PF-related details using the UAN member portal. They can even make emergency withdrawals and track requests. The UAN member portal has made it feasible for all existing PF accounts of employees to be linked in a single framework for convenient and quick access.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the UAN change during a job change?
When working for any enterprise, the employee gets their unique UAN which contains all details of their PF transactions. When they change jobs, their UAN remains the same as allotted by the previous employer.
All they have to do is to provide the same to their new employer so that their new PF account is immediately merged with the existing UAN.
Are there any cases where an employee has two UANs?
There could be a scenario wherein the employee can have two UANs, especially when two different employers generate different ones.
In such a case, the same should be reported to the EPFO helpdesk so that the old UAN can be deactivated and all transactions can be merged into one UAN.
What other facilities can be used under the UAN member portal?
If you are an EPFO member with the UAN member portal, you can avail of several other facilities:
- You can view/download the EPF passbook
- You can edit your details on the portal and enter KYC details for verification
- You can access different Member IDs that previous employers have allocated
- You can track and view any claim made toward your PF
- You can view or download your EPF card
Why should the UAN be linked to the Aadhaar card?
The linking of the Aadhaar card and UAN is important as it empowers employees to send and receive claims in the least amount of time.
No proof from your employer is required when submitting your application. In addition, evidence of partial withdrawal of funds for emergency events is not required to be presented to the EPFO.
How can an employee download or view their UAN card?
Here are some steps that you, as an employee, can follow to view or download your UAN card:
Step 1: You must open the UAN member portal and go to the UAN member portal login page
Step 2: You must log in using your UAN and password
Step 3: You can click on the view or download tab to get access to your UAN Card
Step 4: You can also take a printout of your UAN Card to maintain a hard copy.