PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana Online 2023 - Scheme & Benefits
What is the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana about?
The PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with a vision to transform India's agricultural sector and promote the concept of Aatmanirbhar Krishi.
The scheme was operational from 1st December 2018, and on 24th February 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, that the Nation had established the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme (PMKISAN) to support the financial needs of land-owning farmers.
Under this scheme, the selected beneficiary farmers will be given INR 6000 every year, with an INR 2000 every four months, directly credited into their bank accounts.
Under this scheme, the PM of India promised a payout of INR 75000 crores to the farmers of India annually with a key objective to support the financial needs of the Small and Marginal Farmers and dissuade them from over-relying on moneylenders to cover such costs. This scheme was also launched to modernise agriculture and ensure the continuation of hassle-free agricultural activities.
The Government of India wholly owns the PM Kisan Yojana, and every farmer family who owns a piece of land of up to 2 hectares will receive an annual income subsidy of INR 6,000 in three installments. This system defines family as a husband, wife, and minor children.
State governments and UT administrators must identify eligible farmers under program guidelines and properly record their family records in the state or UT land registry.
Significant Features of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana
Here are some of the key characteristics of the PM Kisan Scheme:
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme is a DBT, a Central Sector Direct Benefit Transfer scheme. All land-owning families in India will benefit from the financial support of INR 6,000 under this scheme.
- There is an exclusion list of certain categories of farmers who are not eligible for the scheme, which will be discussed later in the article.
- The PM Kisan Yojana is for agricultural families to help them bear costs related to farming and related activities, manage their household budgets, and provide for their necessities.
- The amount will be remitted in 3 equal installments of INR 2000 every 4 months, which will be directly transferred to the beneficiary farmer's bank account. Payments will be made based on the beneficiary's Aadhaar batch data, identified by the States/UTs.
However, some states/UTs are excluded from this requirement and treated as exceptions, like Meghalaya, Assam, Meghalaya, Ladakh, and Jammu & Kashmir. In these places, the exemptions have been granted until 31st March 2021.
- The regulatory definition of landholder's family under the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme, eligible for the payment is husband, wife, and minor children.
- State governments and UT management are responsible for identifying eligible farmers based on program guidelines.
- The Kisan Samman Nidhi has been effective since 1st December 2018, and the deadline for determining the eligibility of landholders was 1st February 2019. Based on estimates from the 2015-2016 Agricultural Census, the total landholders covered by the scheme is about 14 million.
- There is no state funding or authorization as part of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi program.
- The website for PM Kisan Nidhi has been launched.
- Initially, the scheme was initiated to serve the small and marginal farmers, but from 1st June 2019 onwards, the scheme will cover all landholding farmers, with a few exclusions.
- The PM Kisan Nidhi Yojana guidelines do not cover usage limits, and the entire funding comes from the Government of India.
- Responsibility for Identity Verification lies with the State/UT Government. These governments decide which farmers will benefit from the program.
How Did the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana Come into Effect?
The Telangana government launched the Ryuthu Bandhu program in 2018, in which the state government paid a fixed amount twice a year to help farmers invest in agriculture. This program was widely recognized for its immense advantages to the farmers.
In response, the Indian government launched a similar farmer investment assistance scheme to provide financial support to farmers across the country. Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme came into force on December 1, 2018. According to initial government announcements, the program was allotted INR 75,000 per year to give to farmers for economic support.
Initiatives of the PM Kisan Yojana
One of the biggest initiatives under the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme was to launch the portal, besides giving financial support to farmers. The following facilities have been incorporated under the portal for the convenience of the farmers:
- Farmers can do a Self-Registration on the portal
- Aadhaar correction can also be managed
- They can get knowledge of their Beneficiary Status
Other Initiatives under the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme:
- Provision of direct services with the availability of Common Service to farmers for Registration, status verification, and records rectification.
- Data Analytics has been provided via the PFMS system (Public Financial Management System), which is handled at the central level to ensure records' validity and eliminate any errors or discrepancies.
- PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana Mobile App to be launched to provide direct services.
- 24x7 helpline launched with an advanced Interactive Voice Response System to verify the status of farmers.
- Aadhar verification and e-KYC of more than 84% of the registered beneficiaries.
- Telephonic customer care support with accessibility to a toll-free number to verify the application status.
- Formation of the National Farmers Welfare Program Implementation Society to enhance the usability and monitoring of the PM Kisan Nidhi scheme.
Scope and Objectives of PM Kisan Yojana
Farmers are a substantial class of population in India as agriculture is a key industry of the Indian economy. However, due to financial constraints, farmers cannot deliver their 100% towards modernising or uplifting agricultural practices.
Agricultural communities often suffer from economic prosperity due to widening socio-economic disparities between the country's urban and rural areas. The Government of India has tried to narrow such gaps and discouraged farmers from relying on private moneylenders for financial support, as farmers have been financially exploited for ages.
The central and state governments have worked tirelessly to address this socio-economic problem through several initiatives to uplift such communities. In 2018, the PM Kisan Nidhi Scheme was established to assist these communities financially.
According to its goals, the initiative aims to benefit millions of farmers in India, especially those with marginal stature. The Indian government released the 12th installment under this scheme on 17th October 2022.
Benefits of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana
Some of the key advantages of the Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme are:
- There is no intervention of the state/UT Governments or intermediaries. The sole responsibility for disbursal of the funds lies with the Central Government, and the funds are directly transferred to the farmers' accounts, which is a great relief to the landowners.
- The financial assistance will help farmers to focus on advancements in applying agricultural practices.
- The relief will help them to look after their families better.
- With such relief, the need for bank loans or financial help from private lenders will greatly reduce.
- The funds are regular, and there has been no discrepancy from the government's side. The 12th installment in 2022 was attributed to more than 8 crore farmers, and approximately INR 16,000 crores were transferred into their bank accounts.
- With the advent of the web portal under PM Kisan Yojana and the mobile app, it has become easy for farmers to register and process fund transfers conveniently. They are also able to use the technology for other important services.
- There is no discrimination while registering farmers for the PM Kisan Nidhi Scheme, except for some exclusions, which are given below.
Eligibility Criteria for PM Kisan Registration
Some of the most important parameters that farmers need to meet to meet the eligibility criteria of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana are:
- Farmer Families need to consist of a husband, wife, one minor, or more children.
- The farmer or the landholder should be a citizen of India.
- This scheme is for all SMFs – Small and Marginal Famers.
- This scheme also applies to farmers who hold cultivable land used for agriculture.
- Farmers from rural and urban administrations can register for the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme.
- There are certain exclusions to the scheme, which will be discussed below.
How to Apply for the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana
Farmers can use the following ways to apply for the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana:
- They must submit their relevant details and apply to designation officials like the revenue officials or village Patwaris.
- Common Service Centers (CSCs) are available in almost every area, so the farmers can visit the nearest CSC and apply for the Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme.
- For the ease and convenience of the landholders, the government has given the benefit to farmers to apply for the scheme online at the website or the mobile app, using the Download PMKISAN Mobile App option.
Documents and Details Required at the Time of PM Kisan Registration
While registering, the farmer needs to share their name, age, gender, contact number, category certificate (SC/ST), etc.
Other Documents they may need to submit are:
- Aadhaar Number or the Aadhaar Enrollment Number
- Voters' ID or Driving Licence
- NREGA Job Card or any other identification issued by the Central/State/UT Government).
- Bank Account Number of the applicant
- Documents regarding the ownership of land
Step-By-Step Online Procedure of PM Kisan Registration
If the farmers are applying online for the PM Kisan Registration, they must follow these simple steps:
Step 1 – Visit the PM Kisan portal.
Step 2 – Go to the 'Farmers Corner' and click on the option, 'New Farmer Registration.
Step 3 – On the page, the farmer must verify if they are already registered under the scheme or if they are a new farmer. To check, they must select whether they belong to an urban or rural area. Then they should enter their Aadhar number, select their stats, enter the captcha, and click the Search button.
Step 4 - If their details exist on the database, they need to register themselves and click on yes.
Step 5 – They would have to follow the instructions and details asked and complete the PM Kisan Registration process.
How to Check the Beneficiary Status of the PM Kisan Scheme?
You can check the beneficiary status online by following these steps:
Step 1 – Visit PM Kisan's official website.
Step 2 – Go to Farmer's Corner and click on "Beneficiary Status".
Step 3 – Enter the Aadhaar number, account number, or registered contact number.
Step 4 – The Beneficiary Status will be displayed.
Method to Check Whether Farmers Are Included in the Beneficiary List of the Village
Step 1 – Go to Farmer's Corner and click on the list of beneficiaries
Step 2 – Select state, district and subdistrict, block, and village, and click on get report.
Step 3 – You can view a particular village's PM Kisan Nidhi list.
How to Check the Status of Their PM Kisan Registration
Step 1 - Go to the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana portal and click on the 'Farmers Corner.'
Step 2 - Click on the 'Status of Self Registered/CSC Farmers' option.
Step 3 – The farmer needs to punch in their 'Aadhaar Number', the given captcha, and click on Search.
Step 4 – Their application status will be displayed.
Exclusions under the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme
Farmers or landowners belonging to the following classes or strata of societies will be excluded from the eligibility of the PM Kisan Nidhi Scheme:
- Influential landowners who have a lot of property or land in their name, a good bank balance, or belong to decent economic strata of the society.
- All superannuated/retired pension holders receive a monthly pension amount equal to INR 10000 or more, with the exclusion of Multi-Tasking Staff or Class IV or Group D employees.
- Any farmer who paid Income Tax in the previous financial year.
- Any farmer following another profession, like an architect, lawyer, engineer, chartered accountant, doctor, or any other profession, must register with professional bodies by going through certain practices.
- Farmer families will be excluded from the eligibility of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana if they belong to any of the below-given categories:
a. If they have been or are a part of the constitution
b. If they have been:
- Previous and Current Ministers or State Ministers
- Previous and Current Members of Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha or State Legislative Assemblies or State Legislative Councils
- Previous and Current Mayors of Municipal Corporations
- Previous and Current Chairpersons of District Panchayats.
- Any officer who is serving or retired or any employee of the Central or State Government Ministries
- All serving or retired employees of Offices or Departments forming a part of the Central or State PSEs and Attached offices or Autonomous Institutions under the government, as well as regular employees of the Local Bodies. (This list does not include Multi-Tasking Staff or Class IV or Group D employees)
The PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana is a revolution initiated by the Central Government, and the consistency in the scheme is undoubted, taking the farmers to a new level. Their trust in the government has increased, and the continuous release of funds helps them economically to deal with domestic and agricultural constraints.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana all about?
PM Kisan Yojana, or the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana, is an initiative by the Central Government to provide financial support in the form of income to families of all landholder farmers. This extra income is given to them to support their families and pay for agriculture-related activities.
When was PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana launched, and who launched it?
Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India, inaugurated the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme on 24th February 2019, which came into effect on 1st December 2018.
What is the main benefit of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme?
The biggest benefit of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana is that this financial aid, which is directly transferred to the landholder's account, can be used to modernise agriculture and related activities.
What are the eligibility criteria to receive the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana benefits?
Under the Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme, any landholder farmer family with its name registered in the territorial records of states/UT as of 1st February 2019 and possessing cultivable land of up to 2 hectares is eligible to receive the benefits of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme.
What is the frequency of the disbursal of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana in a given year?
The PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana is paid out every four months in an equal installment of INR 2000, which is directly credited to the landholder's account. This payout has an exception of only a single installment payout for 2018-19.