The Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana, also known as PMGAY, is a flagship Indian government scheme that will provide a permanent roof by 2022 to every Indian citizen living in villages. The scheme is open to houseless people living in kutcha and dilapidated houses in Indian villages.
They can apply for the scheme to get pucca houses with basic amenities. Besides a bedroom and a kitchen, the houses constructed under this scheme have an attached bathroom. The union government believes proper housing is vital to developing an area’s socio-economic condition.
This article provides an overview of the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana or PMGAY, including its objectives, benefits, eligibility, how to apply, and the like.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - A Primer
Since independence, the Indian government has kept public housing programs at the core of its policy initiatives. Indian public housing initiatives date back to 1947 when the refugees required rehabilitation. Over the years, housing schemes have changed to reflect the growing needs of the second-most populous country in the world.
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana (PMGAY) is a key instrument for alleviating poverty in India. Like the Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY), launched in January 1996, Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana Gramin is also an independent program.
Although PMGAY’s predecessor, Indira Awas Yojana, played an instrumental role in alleviating poverty by providing housing to poor people, performance audits and concurrent evaluations by the CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General) in 2014 identified specific gaps. The gaps included a failure to assess the housing shortage, a lack of transparency in selecting beneficiaries, poor house quality, a lack of convergence and technical oversight, and a weak monitoring mechanism. All these gaps limited the outcome and impact of the Indira Awaas Yojana.
The central government announced that it would restructure Indira Awaas Yojana w.e.f. 1st April 2016, primarily to plug the loopholes in the existing system and fulfill the government’s commitment to providing housing for all.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - Objectives of the Scheme
The primary objective of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin is to provide pucca houses for every eligible villager in India. The size of each house will be 25 square meters. The government expects that the PMGAY scheme will achieve its objectives by 2022.
The immediate objective of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin was to construct pucca houses with all basic amenities for one (1) crore Indian families between the financial years 2016-17 and 2018-19. Later, the government increased the target to 2.95 crore houses. According to the latest data released by the central government on 29th September 2022, the government has already finished the construction of two (2) crore houses, of which women own 69%. It is worth noting that only those living in dilapidated and kutcha houses would be considered eligible for the scheme.
The central government has combined the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana with other social development schemes like Ujjwala Yojana and Swachh Bharat Mission to improve the socio-economic conditions of Indian villages. So, besides the two crore houses constructed under PM Gramin Awas Yojana, more than 9.4 crore LPG connections were given to rural women under the Ujjwala Yojana, and 11.5 crore toilets were built in various parts of rural India.
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana - Features
Here are the salient features of the PM Awas Yojana Gramin:
- The unit assistance cost under PMGAY is shared between the state and central government. While the state government provides 40% of the funds, the central government provides 60%. However, this is for plain areas. For hilly states, the central government gives 90%, and the state government gives 10%. It is worth noting that the maximum contribution is capped at INR 1.20 lakh for all non-hilly states and INR 1.30 lakh for all hilly states, including Jammu and Kashmir.
- To ensure free and fair beneficiary selection, PMGAY does not select beneficiaries from BPL households but according to various housing deprivation parameters stated in the SECC (Socio Economic and Caste Census) 2011. Also, all beneficiaries are approved by their respective Gram Sabhas.
- The minimum size of houses constructed under the PM Gramin Awas Yojana will be 25 square meters. The houses will have all amenities like toilets, kitchens, power supply, etc.
- Union territories receive 100% funding for PMGAY from the central government.
- Local, indigenous construction materials are given more preference.
- Those enrolling in the PMGAY scheme will also get INR 12,000 to construct a permanent toilet in each house. This assistance is provided under the SBM-G (Swachh Bharat Mission - Gramin) scheme.
- Those enrolling in the PMGAY scheme will also get 90-95 days of unskilled labor income from the MGNREGS (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme). Such beneficiaries can earn up to INR 18,000 by participating in the MGNREG employment scheme.
- Those enrolling for the PMGAY scheme will receive technical assistance for constructing the house.
- The PM Gramin Awas Yojana implementation is carried out through the Awaas App and AwaasSoft. AwaasSoft is an electronic service delivery platform that simplifies everything from beneficiary identification to construction-linked financial assistance. The Awaas App monitors the house construction progress. Also, Awaas SoftMIS monitors the electronic payments to beneficiaries’ bank or post office accounts.
- All beneficiaries of the PMGAY scheme are eligible to get low-interest loans of up to INR 70,000 from Indian lenders.
- Besides monitoring the scheme’s implementation through Awaas App and AwaasSoft, it is also monitored through a social audit, DISHA committee, national level monitors, and state and central government officials.
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana - How to Apply
Generally, no one can register for PMGAY by themselves. Usually, the central government prepares the list of eligible beneficiaries based on SECC (Census) 2011 and sends it to the respective Gram Sabhas for verification. If you have already got selected as a beneficiary but cannot find your name in the database, follow the steps mentioned below to include your name and receive the benefits of PM Gramin Awas Yojana:
- Visit the official website of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin.
- Enter details like your Aadhar number, gender, mobile number, etc., in the slots provided
- Upload the consent letter for using your Aadhar data
- Locate the ‘Search’ button. Click on it to check your beneficiary details.
- Hit the ‘Register’ tab. Fill the empty fields, such as Aadhar number, bank account, nomination details, etc.
- After completing the processes mentioned above, you may click on ‘Yes’ to receive a loan and fill out the amount.
- Upload your MGNREGS and SBM details on the portal.
What are the Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana?
The following are the top benefits of the PM Gramin Awas Yojana:
- Beneficiaries can avail of a housing loan of up to INR 70,000 and use the funds for house construction under PMGAY.
- The interest rate of housing loans approved under PMAY - G is 3% lower than standard home loan interest rates.
- A PMGAY beneficiary can get a subsidy on a home loan of up to INR 2 lakh.
- A PMGAY beneficiary can get other benefits under schemes like Swachh Bharat Mission, Ujjwala Yojana, and MGNREGS.
- PMGAY beneficiaries living in hilly states receive more financial assistance.
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana - Eligibility Criteria
The central government has taken various steps to ensure that only deserving households benefit from PM Awas Yojana Gramin. So, instead of relying on the BPL list, it has preferred the SECC (Census) 2011 data. The government selects eligible beneficiaries and sends the list to Gram Sabhas for evaluation and verification.
The eligible PMGAY data is prioritized based on various housing deprivation parameters, such as scheduled caste, tribe, minorities, etc. The following people are eligible to be considered for the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana:
- The household must not own a pucca house in any part of India.
- Families living in kutcha houses with less than two bedrooms
- Families belonging to Scheduled Castes or Scheduled Tribes
- Freed bonded laborers
- Any household with a disabled member
- Non-SC, non-ST, and minorities in the BPL category
- Widows of defense or paramilitary personnel killed in action
- Any person without a job or whose job is casual
- A family willing to avail of a loan under the PMGAY scheme must have a husband, wife, and unmarried child/ children.
- The applicant must belong to categories like EWS (Economically Weaker Sections), BPL (Below Poverty Line), or LIG (Lower Income Group).
- The applicant's family income must not be less than INR 3 lakh and more than INR 6 lakh per annum.
- If the loan amount is above INR 6 lakh, the interest rate on the surplus amount will be according to the market rate.
PM Gramin Awas Yojana beneficiaries need to submit the following documents to receive the subsidy for house construction:
- Correctly filled PMGAY Application Form
- Identify proof, such as Voter ID, Aadhar Card, etc.)
- Ethnicity certificate
- Income proof
- Income certificate (anyone whose income is not taxable)
- Address proof
- Salary certificate (if employed)
- Bank account statement of six months
- Income Tax Returns
- A letter on the business nature and financial statement (if the applicant is self-employed)
- T assessment order
- Construction plan
- A certificate elaborating on the construction cost
- A certificate from the official valuer
- An affidavit declaring that the applicant or their family members do not own any pucca house anywhere in India
- Receipt (if any) of the advance payment made to a builder
- The construction contract with a builder or developer
- A No-Objection Certificate received from any housing society
- A letter declaring the property allocation
Convergence With Other Schemes
To improve the lifestyle and socio-economic conditions of people living in Indian villages, the government has facilitated the convergence of the PM Gramin Awas Yojana scheme with many other government schemes. Here is a laydown of the top schemes and the benefits a PMGAY beneficiary receives:
- Swachh Bharat Mission - Gramin : INR 12,000 for toilet construction
- MGNREGA - Get up to INR 18,000 by working for 90-95 days under the MGNREGA scheme
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) - To receive electricity connection
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) - To receive free LPG connections
- Jal Jeewan Mission - To provide piped water supply
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana - Checking the Application Status
You can check your Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana application status by following the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the official website of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin
- Locate the AwaasSoft tab
- Click on FTO (Fund Transfer Order) Tracking
- To check your PMGAY application’s progress, enter the FTO number or PFMS (Public Finance Management System) ID.
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana - State-Wise MoRD Target and Completed Status
The following is the list containing state-wise MoRD (Ministry of Road Transport) target and completed status:
|S. No.||State Name||MoRD Target||Completed||Percentage of Completion|
|9||JAMMU AND KASHMIR||201633||101652||50.41|
|27||ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR||1337||1133||84.74|
|28||DADRA AND NAGAR HAVELI||6763||2589||38.28|
|29||DAMAN AND DIU||68||13||19.12|
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana - Funds Transfer Status
The following is the list containing state-wise MoRD (Ministry of Road Transport) fund transferred status:
|S. No.||State Name||Fund Transferred|
|9||JAMMU AND KASHMIR||1809.93|
|27||ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR||11.28|
|28||DADRA AND NAGAR HAVELI||94.32|
|29||DAMAN AND DIU||0.16|
What is Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin?
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a flagship social development scheme aiming to construct 2.95 crore houses for as many families as possible across India. The houses constructed under the scheme are 25 square meters, each with a bedroom, kitchen, and toilet. The fund for constructing toilets is given from the Swachh Bharat Mission corpus.
What is the eligibility for PM Awas Yojana - Gramin?
The central government chooses PM Gramin Awas Yojana beneficiaries by scanning the SECC (Census) 2011. Families living in kutcha houses with less than two bedrooms are eligible for the scheme. Also, people belonging to the scheduled caste, scheduled tribe, or minority community are given more preference.
Which documents should I submit along with PMGAY application form?
Besides the application form, you need to submit documents like identity proof, ethnicity certificate, income proof, address proof, financial statement, bank account statement, T assessment order, affidavit, etc.
What are the benefits of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana - Gramin?
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana beneficiaries can receive housing loans of up to INR 70,000 and use them for house construction. PMGAY beneficiaries can get other benefits under schemes like Swachh Bharat Mission, Ujjwala Yojana, and MGNREGS. The interest rate of housing loans approved under PMAY - G is 3% lower than standard home loan interest rates.
How does the government monitor PM Gramin Awas Yojana?
The government monitors the implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana through AwaasSoft and Awaas App. While AwaasSoft provides services like beneficiary identification and financial assistance, the Awaas App monitors the house construction progress.