What is MMID in Axis Bank?
Festive occasion or a medical emergency, your family and extended family need funds and need them urgently.However, they don't have access to netbanking. Is there a way I could make the electronic fund transfer through my mobile phone? Can they receive the funds quickly and safely?
Vyola! Technology is indeed transformational and disruptive and has revolutionised India's digital banking sector, making fund transfers accessible to everyone in every corner of the country by using mobile phones as the medium.
You can now make instant 24*7 interbank electronic fund transfer to individuals and enterprises anywhere using your mobile phone throughout the year including Sundays and bank holidays
This is where the concept of MMID, Mobile Money Identifier comes in.
In simple terms, MMID is a seven digit code which is typically a combination of your mobile number and bank account number which allows for interbank transfers via the mobile banking platform.
Customers can transfer and receive funds via Immediate Payment Services (IMPS) using their registered Mobile number and Mobile Money Identifier (MMID).
Introduced by the Government of India in 2010, MMID was a step up to the two commonly used transfer methods – the Real Time Gross Settlement or RTGS fund transfers and the National Electronic Fund Transfer or NEFT service.
Unlike RTGS and NEFT Services which require net banking facilities to function, with MMID, one could transfer funds to the beneficiary's account electronically using a mobile phone.
As long as you have a phone number linked to your bank account, you can receive fund transfers via MMID. All you need is the mobile number, account number and the IFSC details of the payee.
So how does one go about generating and using the MMID fund transfer method?
- Firstly, you need to approach your bank, say for example, Axis Bank and apply for mobile banking services.
- Secondly, you need to register your mobile number with Axis Bank.
- You can visit your bank and submit an application form to activate this service.
- Once RMN ( registered mobile number) is done, the bank will issue a seven digit unique MMID code that you can use to initiate instant fund transfers.
- In addition to visiting your Axis Bank branch, you can also generate the MMID code through other mediums such as :
- Welcome kit that you receive once you have registered for mobile banking.
- Through phone banking using customer care service. The bank representative will help you in generating the MMID code which will be sent to your registered mobile number within 24 hours.
- You can also generate MMID code through netbanking by logging in with your customer id and password ( IPVN).
- Lastly, the MMID code can also be generated through mobile banking applications under the IMPS fund transfer option.
- It is important to remember that this unique seven digit MMID code can be linked to a single bank account only.
- For multiple bank accounts, multiple MMID codes would be issued and you can then link all the MMID numbers to one mobile phone number.
- Besides, the sender and the beneficiary should have an MMID to transfer funds through this facility.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Q. How do I use my unique seven digit Axis Bank MMID code to transfer funds into a beneficiary account?
- It is a very simple process which begins with logging into the mobile banking app of Axis Bank.
- Navigate through the fund transfer page and click on the IMPS tab.
- You then type your mobile number and the MMID code of the beneficiary and initiate the transfer.
- Lastly, check if the transaction is authenticated using an OTP or PIN.
- Upon verification, the money will be debited from your Axis Bank account and credited to the beneficiary account within seconds.
- You, the transferer and the beneficiary will receive an SMS notification on your mobile upon completion of the transaction.
Q. How to Send Money through IMPS transfer using Mobile Number and MMID from Axis Mobile?
Axis Mobile is the mobile banking solution provided by the bank for its customers to enjoy a complete suite of transactional banking using his/her mobile phone.
- Login to Axis Mobile by entering your MPIN
- Register the beneficiary
- Transfer -> Mobile Beneficiary (P2P)-> Add
- Enter the mobile number and MMID of the receiver
- Transfer funds
- Transfer -> Mobile Beneficiary (P2P) -> Select Beneficiary Name -> Enter the amount
Q. How to Receive Money using Axis Bank MMID code?
- Register for SMS Banking with Axis Bank ( Inform the sender his/her registered mobile number and MMID
- To know MMID
- SMS MMID to 5676782 to receive your MMID
- MMID is unique to each bank account
Q. Can the remitter and the beneficiary have accounts in different banks?
Yes, the Remitter (customer who wants to send money) and the Beneficiary (customer who wants to receive the money) can have accounts in different banks.
To transfer funds using Mobile Number and MMID, you will require:
- Beneficiary's mobile number which should be registered with his bank.
- MMID code of the beneficiary.
- MMID code of the remitter.
Q. Is it safe to transfer funds via Axis mobile?
As India's third-largest private sector player with ₹1,195,528 crore assets (FY2022).
Axis Bank has an illustrious track record of delivering superior value to its customer
Q. Is there any threshold on the amount that can be transferred using Axis mobile?
Yes, the maximum amount that can be transferred on a daily basis is limited to ₹50,000.
Q. If money is debited from my account, however, the transaction has failed, then what is the way forward?
In such a scenario, Axis Bank will reverse your transaction and the amount would get credited into your account within 48 hours.
Q. Is it possible to initiate an IMPS transfer through MMID code using credit or is it required for me to have sufficient balance?
No credit facility is allowed. The transaction will only happen if you have sufficient balance in your bank account.
Q. Can only Aadhar card details be used to transfer funds using MMID code?
Yes, account holders can facilitate transfers just by entering the Aadhaar card number of the beneficiary as the Aadhaar card number is linked to the bank account of the beneficiary.
Q. Is the MMID facility available for NRI customers?
Yes, NRI customers can transfer funds using their NRI account to the resident account using IMPS.
Q. Can NR ( Non Resident) customers generate MMID code?
No, only resident customers can generate MMID code.