Upstox has always strived to give you a superior trading and investment platform that is smooth, state-of-the-art, and 100% secure. As a measure towards securing your holdings, Upstox was one of the first brokers in the country to allow the selling of Demat holdings without mandating the submission of a Power of Attorney (POA) while opening an account.
How did we do that?
Through electronic delivery instruction slip or e-DIS. e-DIS allows our customers to sell their stocks in real-time without giving us a POA. By implementing a secure OTP-based authentication to facilitate this action, customers can open an account and transact end-to-end without sending a single piece of paper via courier. You can view our older process here.
One of the biggest drawbacks of our older authentication process was that every customer had to go through this process every time they placed a fresh sell order or modified an existing sell order of their holdings. Hence, we introduced an update to this e-DIS process, which significantly reduced the effort for a customer to sell their Demat holdings.
What is the new process for e-DIS?
After a SEBI regulation and CDSL mandate, in order to add an extra layer of security to our customers, a 2-factor authentication process was enabled for e-DIS from the CDSL platform.
This process meant traders have to only authorize the first transaction of that particular trading day and any modifications or further sell orders shall not need to be authorized on that particular trading day.
All they need to get started with this new process is a TPIN from CDSL and an OTP at the time of the authentication.
In case you haven’t received your CDSL TPIN yet, you can also create one yourself in any one of the following ways:
From the Profile/ My Account section
1. Go to the Account section
2. Click on Power Of Attorney
3. Select the get new PIN’ button
4. You will receive the TPIN from CDSL via SMS and email. This TPIN won’t expire until you generate a new one.
From the CDSL website
1. Go to the following link: https://edis.cdslindia.com/home/generatepin
2. Enter your BO ID (which is your Demat Account Number) and PAN details
3. You can get your Demat Account Number by logging in to the Upstox Pro Mobile app and clicking on the menu icon on the top left-hand corner. Click on your name and you shall then see a 16-digit Demat account number. If you are a web user, you can access this number by clicking on ‘My account’.
4. Once you have entered these details, CDSL will send you an OTP on your registered mobile number (the one that you have linked with your Upstox account), enter the OTP there.
5. And that’s it. You are done. CDSL will now send you the TPIN via SMS and email on your registered mobile number and email ID.
Once you receive or generate your TPIN, all you need to do is use it to authorize any sell order that you place of your Demat holdings along with an OTP.
Step 1: Click on ‘Review’ on your order entry screen (while placing a sell order for your holdings). This will open a new page/window, which will ask you to authorize the transfer of shares from your Demat account to the Upstox pool account via E-DIS.
Step 2: Click on ‘Continue’. You will be redirected to the CDSL web page, where you need to input your TPIN.
Step 3: Only after successfully entering the TPIN you will get the option to enter the OTP sent by CDSL on your registered mobile number and email ID. Here you’ll be able to see the list of holdings when you scroll.
Step 4: Once you’ve entered the correct OTP you will get redirected to the status page, which will show a success or failure status (along with the reason). You need to close this page and return to the Upstox platform to confirm.
If you wish to sell any additional holdings on the same trading day, you do not need to go through the TPIN authentication process once again.
We hope this new e-DIS process helps make your trading experience smoother, safer, and simpler!