Best Sugar Stocks In India
Sugar is one of the most important commodities in the world, and India is the second largest producer and consumer of sugar. The sugar industry in India has been undergoing some major changes in recent years, especially with the government’s support for ethanol production and blending. Ethanol is a biofuel that can be derived from sugarcane and can reduce the dependence on fossil fuels. The government has set a target of achieving 20% ethanol blending with petrol by 2023, which will create a huge demand for ethanol and benefit the sugar companies.
Additionally, the states of Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Uttar Pradesh contribute to a staggering 89% of the sugar production in the country. In this comprehensive article, we will delve into the intricacies of the sugar business, exploring its impact on the Indian economy and highlighting some of the most prominent sugar stocks in the country.
The Sugar Industry: A Synopsis
The sugar sector is the second-largest agro-based industry in India, providing support to approximately 50 million farmers. Beyond its significant contribution to employment, the sugar industry holds global prominence. India, the world's second-largest producer of sugar, manufactured a staggering 29 million metric tons of sugar, second only to Brazil.
Among the various states involved in sugar production, Maharashtra leads the pack. This state alone accounts for a substantial portion of India's sugar output, primarily derived from sugarcane extraction, which constitutes 80% of the total production. Sugar beet contributes the remaining 20%. It's worth noting that the fluctuating nature of sugar production has a direct impact on sugar prices, making it a crucial factor to consider in the industry.
Reasons to Consider Sugar Stocks
Now that we have a better understanding of India's sugar industry, let's turn our attention to the most noteworthy sugar companies in the country. Investing in sugar stocks requires careful analysis of various factors. Below, we highlight some essential elements to consider before investing in sugar companies.
Improving Profitability through Ethanol Production:
- Ethanol production from molasses enhances profitability.
- The integration of ethanol with gasoline creates an affordable and eco-friendly energy source.
- The Indian government targets 10% ethanol blending by 2022 and 20% by 2025.
Expansion of the Soft Drink Industry:
- Per capita consumption of soft drinks in India has doubled in recent years.
- Increased demand for soft drinks positively impacts the sugar industry.
Future Supply and Demand Outlook:
- Sugar supply is expected to exceed demand in the coming years.
- The government aims for 20% ethanol blending in the near future.
- Total demand for distillery products is projected to reach 1,350 crore liters in 5-6 years.
- The promotion of flex-fuel vehicles contributes to long-term ethanol consumption.
Possibilities for Exporting and Competition:
- Brazil, a key competitor in the global sugar market, faces potential regulatory changes.
- Volatile sugar prices present export opportunities for Indian sugar companies.
Top 5 Sugar Stocks to Buy in 2023
Here is a list of top sugar stocks in India:
- Shree Renuka Sugars Ltd.: Shree Renuka Sugars Ltd. is a prominent player in the Indian sugar industry, boasting a market cap of Rs. 9,567.56 crore. With a total of seven sugar mills in India and two in Brazil, they have a crushing capacity of 20.7 million tonnes per annum. The company's product line includes sugar, ethanol, electricity, and organic manure, offering diversification in its operations. Shree Renuka Sugars is also actively involved in the trading of raw and white sugar, coal, molasses, and alcohol, making them a comprehensive player in the sugar industry.
- Triveni Engineering and Industries Ltd.: Triveni Engineering and Industries Ltd. is a leading sugar company in India, with a market cap of Rs. 6,899.69 crore. Operating seven sugar mills in Uttar Pradesh, they possess a significant crushing capacity of 61,000 tonnes daily. Alongside sugar production, Triveni Engineering is engaged in ethanol production, power generation, gears, water treatment solutions, and steam turbines. Their diverse portfolio enables them to capitalize on various sectors within the industry and positions them as a key player in the market.
- EID Parry (India) Ltd.: EID Parry (India) Ltd., with a market cap of Rs. 9,143.04 crore, is a renowned sugar company with a rich history spanning over 225 years. Their portfolio includes sugar, ethanol, bio-products, and nutraceuticals. Additionally, EID Parry has a stake in Coromandel International, a leading fertilizer company. This diversification allows them to leverage synergies across different sectors, contributing to their strong market position in the sugar industry.
- Balrampur Chini Mills Ltd.: Balrampur Chini Mills Ltd., with a market cap of Rs. 7,451.84 crore, is a major integrated sugar manufacturer in India. Ten sugar factories in Uttar Pradesh possess a substantial daily crushing capacity of 76,500 tonnes. Balrampur Chini Mills is involved in producing and selling sugar, ethanol, electricity, and organic manure. Their extensive presence in Uttar Pradesh and diversified operations enable them to cater to various market segments and establish a strong foothold in the industry.
- Dalmia Bharat Sugar and Industries Ltd.: Dalmia Bharat Sugar and Industries Ltd. is a rapidly growing sugar company in India, with a market cap of Rs. 2,595.32 crore. Operating four sugar mills in Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra, they have a crushing capacity of 34,000 tonnes daily. In addition to sugar production, Dalmia Bharat Sugar is actively involved in ethanol production, power generation, chemicals, magnesite, and refractories. With their focus on diversification and expansion, they have emerged as one of the fastest-growing success stories in the Indian sugar industry.
The sugar business in India, despite its inherent volatility, exerts a substantial influence on the country's GDP and generates revenue for both the federal and state governments. The government's efforts to manufacture and blend ethanol as a cleaner energy source have further propelled the industry's growth and opened up new job opportunities. By considering the factors mentioned above and exploring the top sugar stocks in India, investors can make informed decisions in this dynamic market.
The investment options and stocks mentioned here are not recommendations. Please go through your own due diligence and conduct thorough research before investing. Investment in the securities market is subject to market risks. Please read the Risk Disclosure documents carefully before investing. Past performance of instruments/securities does not indicate their future performance. Due to the price fluctuation risk and the market risk, there is no guarantee that your personal investment objectives will be achieved.