What is ATM Card & How to use an ATM Card First Time & Apply Online
Check Steps about How To Use ATM Card
ATM stands for "Automated Teller Machine" which permits you to perform certain banking functions easily. This includes withdrawing cash, checking balance, depositing cash, and many more. An ATM card is given to every account holder by the bank as it is a safe and quick option to perform bank transactions. But to avail of the benefits you should know how to use them. Here is a detailed guide that demonstrates the steps on how to use an ATM card.
With these steps, you can easily carry out different transactions without the need for help from anyone.
How to Use an ATM Card the First Time?
An ATM card consists of a 16-digit number, name of the account holder, expiry date and a 3-digit CVV or Credit Verification Value number for security purposes. Follow these simple steps given below to know how to use an ATM card seamlessly.
Step 1: Visit your nearest ATM of any bank to carry out a transaction. Even if you are not an account holder of the same you can complete a transaction from any bank ATM. However, as per RBI guidelines, there are certain restrictions related to the amount withdrawn, location and the number of transactions.
Step 2: Insert Your ATM cum Debit card in the card reader space through the side with a chip and bank logo on it. Before inserting always make sure that a light usually blinks near the card reader, signifying that it is ready to take a new card.
Step 3: As soon as you insert your ATM card the screen will display different steps or options to perform a transaction. Thereafter, select the language as per your convenience and enter the 4-digit secret PIN.
Step 4: However entering a wrong PIN more than 3 times may block your ATM card. In certain ATMs, there is an automated speaker to guide you throughout the entire process and to give audio feedback.
Step 5: Now choose your preferred transaction types like Balance Enquiry, Deposit Money, Money withdrawal, Change PIN, and many more. Accordingly, you can choose the suitable option and perform the transaction. For instance, to withdraw cash, opt for the "Money Withdrawal" option.
Please note the steps, or the options might vary from bank to bank.
Step 6: Now select the amount you want to withdraw and select the account type such as current or savings.
Step 7: Collect your money and withdrawal receipt as proof of your transaction. A withdrawal receipt consists of information like available account balances and many more. After the transaction, you will receive an SMS on your registered mobile number. You can also check your account information on the ATM screen by clicking on the "Balance Enquiry" option.
Step 8: Lastly, after completing the transaction, make sure to press the cancel/cross button. If you miss this crucial step, fraudsters may use this opportunity to transact money from your account.
What are the Benefits of Using an ATM Card?
ATM card eliminates the need for carrying physical cash while traveling at any place. Here are some of the notable benefits of using an ATM card.
- ATM or Debit card permits you to withdraw cash and therefore works as an emergency option to get cash at any time. Also, you can conveniently shop anytime and at any place.
- Using an ATM is convenient and simple. You do not have to wait for credit transactions to cover your expenses. You can easily check your balance or transfer money instantly.
- One of the major advantages of an ATM card is it is easy to obtain. Any individual can open a bank account with a minimum deposit and the financial institution will offer you this card. Accordingly, you can avail of these benefits 24X7 in any part of the country.
- You can also use your ATM card for any online transactions.
How to Apply for ATM Card Online?
Nowadays, you do not have to apply for an ATM card separately, all major banks issue it automatically when you open a savings or current account with that bank.
However, if you want to apply for a new ATM card online, you need to follow these simple steps:
- Visit the official website of your bank and through its net banking portal provide the necessary log-in credential like username and password.
- Thereafter, click on the card option depending on the requirement and apply for the card. It is important to note that this option may vary depending on the financial institution. In this regard, it is necessary to explore the official website of your preferred bank, before applying for it.
- Within a few business days, you will receive the ATM cum debit card at your mentioned address.
How to Activate ATM Card?
To activate the ATM card you may select any of these methods, as given below depending on your needs and the resources available.
Bank’s Customer Care
To activate your ATM card, you can call on the toll-free number that is available on the official website of the bank. You will also get the toll-free number on the letter that comes with the ATM card. Thereafter you need to provide all necessary information like address, registered mobile number, account number, etc., to activate.
You can visit the nearest bank ATM and insert the ATM card into the card reader space. Thereafter enter your temporary PIN and proceed as per the instruction.
It is another easy way to activate your ATM card. All you need to do is log in to the net banking portal of the bank with your login credential and select "Activate ATM Card". Upon selecting enter the security code given on the website the card and the bank will automatically activate the ATM.
Through ATM you can carry out all necessary transactions with ease and safety. The only thing you need to know is how to use an ATM card for different transactions and to keep the card in good condition. Also, it is crucial to avoid disclosing any personal information to eliminate any risk related to monetary losses.