Best Travel Insurance Companies in India
When you book flight tickets through the MakeMyTrip application, you will come across an option to pay an additional cost for travel insurance. Should you purchase it? Is it worth investing in travel insurance in India? It’s a definite yes. This article will explain why you should consider travel insurance and provide a list of the top names in India.
Why Should You Get A Travel Insurance In India
Most travellers make a checklist of everything they need to buy and pack. But one important thing they must start adding to their list is travel insurance. Below are the reasons why.
- Flight delays or cancellations can cause financial loss. Travel insurance covers and protects you against such circumstances.
- Most travel insurance policies cover medical expenses and evacuation in case of an emergency. The insurer will often reimburse accident, dental treatment and other medical costs.
- With so many cases of lost or delayed checked-in luggage, getting insurance is highly recommended. Travel insurance will compensate you for such inconveniences caused by airlines.
- If you lose your plastic money in a foreign country and the scammer goes on a spending spree with your card, it can be difficult to find help. But with travel insurance, you can get reimbursed for your lost money. The length of time you will be reimbursed varies from company to company.
- If you mistakenly damage a third-party property, your travel insurance will cover it.
Best Travel Insurance In India To Consider In 2023
Below is a list of all the best travel insurance policies in India for you to consider. We have covered what these insurances offer to help you make an informed decision.
Bajaj Allianz Travel Insurance
Bajaj Allianz offers various plans for students, corporates, individuals, families, groups and senior citizens. The plans cover all the basic expenses, including medical bills, baggage/passport loss or delay, personal liabilities, flight delays or cancellations and family visits.
Bajaj Allianz Bharat Bhraman Policy is the travel insurance policy for Indians and is considered the best for domestic travel. Domestic travel insurance covers you when you travel by public or private transport, including trains, buses, cars and planes. The best thing about this policy is that you can buy it whether you are travelling alone or with your family.
Tata AIG Travel Insurance
Tata AIG Travel Insurance is every international traveller’s dream come true. Whether you are a single or multiple trip traveller, this travel insurance will protect you from many unforeseen circumstances. Loss of baggage or passport, medical expenses due to illness, accidental dismemberment/death and aircraft hijacking are all covered under this insurance.
You can add other features such as family visit or home burglary insurance for an additional premium.
Reliance Travel Insurance
Reliance Travel Insurance offers plans for individuals, families and senior citizens. For individuals and families, the insurance provides essential cover for lost or delayed checked-in baggage, loss of passport, medical expenses, missed connecting flights, family visits, trip delays or cancellations and home burglary. Individuals also get the added benefit of emergency financial assistance.
Reliance offers a Reliance Travel Care Policy specially designed for senior citizens. This travel insurance policy covers people between the ages of 61 and 90 and provides good protection against accidents, loss of passport or baggage and cancellation.
ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance
ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance is often preferred by those travelling abroad to countries like the USA, Canada or Europe. The policy offers a unique pay-per-day facility, which allows you to extend the validity of the policy if your trip is prolonged. What makes this policy stand out is that it covers you against medical outbreaks such as H1N1 and swine flu while you are travelling.
It also protects you against medical expenses, travel delays, accidents and loss of baggage or passport. It offers cashless hospitalisation wherever you travel.
HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance
HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance is one of the best insurance policies for medical emergencies. It provides daily hospital allowance and covers other medical and dental expenses. This insurance also protects you and your family against theft, personal liability and loss or delay of checked-in baggage.
Apart from this, you get financial emergency assistance if and when needed.
Care Insurance International Travel Insurance
Religare Travel Insurance has been renamed Care Insurance International Travel Insurance. It covers a wide age group. This travel insurance covers people from one day to 70 years of age. It is ideal if you are travelling abroad with senior citizens as it provides cover for pre-existing medical conditions.
Another reason why Care Insurance is one of the best travel insurance policies is that, for an additional premium, you can get an add-on that covers the reimbursement of visa fees if your visa is refused due to the insurer's negligence.
Travel Insurance Exclusions
While most expenses against losses are covered by travel insurance, certain aspects are excluded. We have listed some of these exclusions below.
- If your travel insurance covers dental expenses, it will only cover dental emergencies that occur while you are travelling. It does not cover your routine care.
- Most travel insurance companies in India exclude pregnancy and childbirth. Some may offer cover for pregnancy complications. It is therefore advisable to check with the insurer before making your final decision.
- If you are diagnosed with a medical condition before purchasing a travel policy, the insurer will not cover any losses caused by pre-existing medical problems.
- Travel insurance may not appeal to many adventure enthusiasts as most policies do not cover losses incurred while participating in an adventure sport. Skydiving, bungee jumping, scuba diving, snowboarding, and rafting are some of the excluded sports. However, some companies do offer coverage for these sports in exchange for an additional premium.
These are just a few of the many travel insurance companies available in India.
If you travel a lot, whether for leisure or business, consider taking out a travel insurance policy. It will keep you protected against several unforeseen circumstances.
The investment options and stocks mentioned here are not recommendations. Please go through your own due diligence and conduct thorough research before investing. Investment in the securities market is subject to market risks. Please read the Risk Disclosure documents carefully before investing. Past performance of instruments/securities does not indicate their future performance. Due to the price fluctuation risk and the market risk, there is no guarantee that your personal investment objectives will be achieved.