Top 6 Best Performing Mutual Funds in India
Let's glance at the best-performing mutual funds of the past year. We’ll learn more about their features to find a suitable investment for you.
The Indian stock market has been on a general uptick in the last few years. With the Sensex and Nifty posting their best returns in years, it's not surprising that several investors are looking for the best-performing mutual funds to invest in.
To help you in the process, we've compiled a list. These funds have all delivered returns in the last year and are well-placed to continue delivering solid returns.
Category-wise top 10 best-performing mutual funds
- Quant Small Cap Fund - Direct Plan-Growth
- Aditya Birla Sun Life Digital India Fund Growth
- Tata Digital India Fund Regular Growth
- Quant Infrastructure Fund Growth
- Motilal Oswal NASDAQ 100 ETF Growth
- PGIM India Midcap Opportunities Fund Regular Growth
- Quant Small Cap Fund Growth
- Motilal Oswal Nasdaq 100 Fund of Fund Regular Growth
- Quant Infrastructure Fund - Direct Plan-Growth
- BOI AXA SMALL CAP FUND Direct Plan-Growth
- DSP Healthcare Fund - Direct-Growth
- ICICI Prudential Ultra Short Term Fund - Direct Plan - Daily IDCW Payout
- ICICI Prudential India Opportunities Fund Direct Plan-Growth
- Aditya Birla Sun Life CEF - Global Agri Plan - Growth-Direct Plan
- ICICI Prudential Multicap Fund - Dividend
- IDFC Government Securities Fund - Constant Maturity Regular - Growth
- Nippon India Nivesh Lakshya Fund - Regular Plan-Growth
- IDFC Government Securities Fund - Investment Plan - Regular Plan-Growth
- Nippon India Gilt Securities Fund - Direct Plan Defined Maturity Date Option - Growth
- Aditya Birla Sun Life Government Securities Fund Direct Plan-Growth Instant Gain
- Quant Absolute Fund Growth
- Quant Multi-Asset Fund Growth
- Quant Multi-Asset Fund - Direct Plan-Growth
- Quant Absolute Fund - Direct Plan-Growth
- ICICI Prudential Pharma Healthcare and Diagnostics (PhD) Fund Direct Plan-Growth
- ICICI Prudential Thematic Advantage Fund (FO) Growth
- BOI AXA Mid & Small Cap Equity & Debt Fund Regular Growth
- HDFC Retirement Savings Fund - Equity Plan - Regular Plan
- BOI AXA Mid & Small Cap Equity & Debt Fund - Direct Plan-Growth
- ICICI Prudential Thematic Advantage Fund (FOF) - Direct Plan-Growth
How to choose the right mutual fund for you
Mutual funds are a popular and versatile investment choice. They offer the potential for high returns while providing diversification and professional management. With around 44 mutual fund companies and several schemes being introduced to the market each year, investors are spoilt for choice with mutual fund options. In fact, the year 2022 saw 149 new schemes being added to the mutual fund market.
There are two main types of mutual funds:
- Index funds that track a specific market index, such as the S&P 500, to generate returns aligned with that index. These are more diversified and have lower fees but also generate lower returns.
- Actively managed funds that are controlled by professional investors who seek to outperform a specific market index. These can generate higher returns but also come with higher costs.
When evaluating different funds, there are a few things you should consider - the fund’s performance over the past 1, 5, and 10 years. You should also look at the fund's asset allocation. This is how the fund invests its money. Some funds invest primarily in stocks, while others invest in bonds or cash. It is best to ensure the fund's asset allocation aligns with your investment goals.
Here’s how to make the best mutual fund investments for you.
Define your investment goals
Before investing in a mutual fund, it's essential to understand your investment goals clearly. What you want to achieve with your investment. If you’re looking to generate income, grow wealth or preserve your invested amount.
Your investment goals will help you determine what type of mutual fund is the right fit for you. For example, if you want to generate income, you may want to invest in a fund focusing on dividend-paying stocks. And if you want to grow your wealth, you may want to invest in a fund that invests in growth stocks.
Consider your risk tolerance
Mutual funds come with different risk levels. So, choosing a fund that's in line with your risk tolerance is crucial.
If you're a conservative investor, you may want to invest in a fund with a lower risk level. Conversely, if you're a more aggressive investor, you may be willing to take on more risk to increase the potential of higher returns.
Review the fund's performance
When considering investing in a mutual fund, reviewing the fund's performance is essential. How has the fund performed in the past? Has it outperformed other funds in its category? What is the fund manager’s experience?
You can find this relevant information by reviewing the fund's prospectus or performance history and details.
Read the fund's prospectus
Once you've narrowed your choices to a few potential funds, it's time for independent research. The best and first place to start, is by reading the fund's prospectus.
The prospectus will provide essential information about the fund, including its investment objectives, strategies, and risks. It is vital to read and understand the prospectus before investing in any mutual fund.
Choosing the right mutual fund for you may take some research and effort, especially if you are new to the process. However, if you take the time to define your investment goals, consider your risk tolerance, and review the fund's performance and fees, you should be able to find the ideal fund for your requirement.
Consider the fund’s rating
Fund ratings can give you a good idea of how well the fund has performed in the past and how likely it is to perform well in the future.
There are a few different ways that mutual funds can be rated. One of the most popular methods is by using Morningstar ratings. Morningstar is a leading investment research provider, and they rate mutual funds based on various factors, including past performance, fees, and risk.
Another popular method for rating mutual funds is by using Lipper Leader ratings. Lipper Leader ratings are based on a fund's total return, which considers capital gains and dividends. The ratings also consider a fund's volatility, measured by how much the fund's price fluctuates.
While these are some of the few things to consider while looking for the top-performing mutual funds for your needs, also check details like the fund house’s past performance, fund manager expertise, market trends, expense ratio, liquidity and how the gains will be taxed. Once you have found the top-performing mutual funds for your needs, you can choose to invest in it via a systematic investment plan (SIP)or a lump sum. However you choose to invest, mutual funds can be a great way to grow your wealth and reach your financial goals.
Note: To help plan your trading activities and investment strategies, find here the NSE Holidays 2023, BSE Holidays 2023, MCX Holidays 2023, and Muhurat Trading 2023. Also see here to know more about the stock market timings.
The investment options and stocks mentioned here are not recommendations. Please go through your own due diligence and conduct thorough research before investing. Investment in the securities market is subject to market risks. Please read the Risk Disclosure documents carefully before investing. Past performance of instruments/securities does not indicate their future performance. Due to the price fluctuation risk and the market risk, there is no guarantee that your personal investment objectives will be achieved.