Indices at previous closing
Nifty50: 15,709 ▼ -37 (-0.2%)
Sensex: 52,443 ▼ -135 (-0.2%)
Nifty Bank: 34,532 ▼-264 (-0.7%)
In the news
Nestle’s Q1 profit misses street expectations
- In the June quarter, the FMCG major’s net profit grew by 10.6% YoY to ₹538 crore, missing the street’s estimate of 14–19%. Meanwhile, the company’s revenue from operations rose by 13.8% to ₹3,477 crore due to better volumes and product mix.
- Its key products such as Maggi Noodles and Kitkat posted strong double-digit growth. The company also said that prices of inputs such as oil and packaging materials have been rising. Shares of Nestle India were down 1.2% yesterday but the results were announced after market hours.
Bharti Airtel surges on tariff revision
- Shares of the leading telecom service provider surged 5% yesterday after it said that it is discontinuing its entry-level ₹49 prepaid recharge. From today, the company’s prepaid plans will start at ₹79, which will offer more outgoing minutes and data.
- This comes after the company hiked entry-level tariffs for corporate and family postpaid plans last week. These revisions are expected to boost the company's average revenue per user.
ABB’s Q1 profit soars
- The power products and process-automation solutions provider reported a 308% year-on-year rise in its June quarter net profit to ₹68 crore. This strong jump was led by better capacity utilisation, revenue mix and cost controls. Its revenues rose by 45% to ₹1,425 crore with all its verticals showing growth.
- During the quarter, it garnered orders worth ₹1,689 crore and the total order book stands at ₹4,583 crore, which is more than its revenues last year. Going ahead, it expects business recovery from growth industries such as datacenters, renewables, pharma, and other core industries, which should restart the long overdue capex cycle. Shares of ABB were up 2.2% yesterday in an otherwise volatile market.
Sectoral indices (July 28)
|Top gainers||Top losers|
|Nifty PSU Bank
Global markets (at 8:00 am)
|SGX Nifty||▼ 0.1%|
|SSE Composite (China)||▲ 0.7%|
|Dow Jones (US)
Fact of the day
China accounts for 52% of the global coal consumption. India ranks a distant second with around 11% of the global consumption.
Yay 👍 or Nay 👎?
We'd love your thoughts on this morning update.
If you haven't already, open your Upstox account to get IPO-ready today! Click here to sign up.
To catch our latest educational videos, join our Telegram channel here.
Disclosures and Disclaimer
Investment in securities markets is subject to market risks; please read all the related documents carefully before investing. The securities quoted are exemplary and are not recommendatory. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Details provided in the above newsletter are for educational purposes and should not be construed as investment advice by RKSV group. Investors should consult their investment advisor before making any investment decision.