How to buy gold bonds online
Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGBs) are a secure, government-backed way to invest in gold with that eliminates many of the challenges of physical gold ownership. This comprehensive guide delves into the benefits of SGBs, from safety and capital appreciation to tax advantages, and provides a step-by-step process to purchase them online via Upstox. Dive in to make your investments shine brighter with knowledge.
Gold has always been a symbol of wealth and prosperity. In India, it's not just a precious metal but an integral part of our culture. But did you know there's a smarter way to invest in gold without the hassles of storage and security? Enter Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGBs). Let's dive deep into understanding how you can buy these gold bonds online.
What is a Sovereign Gold Bond (SGB)?
Imagine Sovereign Gold Bonds as a token that represents actual gold. They are a government-issued security that is denominated in grams of gold. For every gram of gold that you invest in, you get a unit of SGB. The Reserve Bank of India, acting on behalf of the Government of India, issues these bonds. They come with a fixed interest of 2.5% per annum, payable semi-annually. What's more, they have a maturity period of 8 years, but if you need to cash out earlier, there's an exit option after the 5th year.
Why invest in sovereign gold bonds?
Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGBs) offer a unique blend of benefits that make them an attractive investment option. Here's why you should consider adding them to your portfolio:
- Safety: Issued by the Government of India, SGBs stand as one of the most secure investment avenues. The government's backing ensures the safety and reliability of your investment.
- Elimination of theft concerns: With SGBs, you can benefit from changes in the price of gold without the hassles of physically owning or storing it. This means no worries about storage, theft, or security of the gold.
- Capital appreciation potential: The value of SGBs is intrinsically linked to gold prices. As gold prices rise, so does the value of your SGBs, offering opportunities for capital gains.
- Regular income stream: Beyond potential capital gains, SGBs pay a fixed annual interest rate, currently at 2.5%. This interest is credited semi-annually directly to your bank account, providing a steady income.
- Tax advantages: Want to sell your SGBs? Enjoy complete exemption from capital gains tax upon redemption. If you hold onto your bonds for the long term and then transfer them, you can also benefit from indexation, which adjusts the bond's purchase price for inflation, potentially reducing your taxable gains.
- No additional costs: Say goodbye to making charges that come with buying physical gold. SGBs are free of any making charges, Securities Transaction Tax (STT), and GST as with physical gold, both at the time or purchase and sale. With SGBs, you only pay the issue price, making it a cost-effective way to invest in gold.
- Diversify your portfolio: SGBs offer a chance to diversify your investment portfolio. Incorporating gold, which often behaves differently than stocks or bonds, can help mitigate overall portfolio risk and volatility.
But it is also worth noting that like all investments, SGBs has a few risks.
- Gold price volatility: The value of SGBs is tied to gold prices, which can rise and fall unpredictably.
- Interest rate risk: The fixed interest rate of 2.5% might lose its charm if market rates soar.
Steps to buy sovereign gold bonds online:
Step 1: Mark the date
SGBs aren't available all year round. They're issued in tranches throughout the year. Keep an eye on the official RBI website or the National Stock Exchange (NSE) to know the issuance dates.
Step 2: Price watch
Before you invest, check the gold price on the issuance day. This will be the price of your SGBs. You can find this on the RBI's official website or any financial news portal.
Step 3: The purchase
You can buy SGBs through banks, post offices, and even stockbrokers. If you're going the bank route, then you need to:
- Visit the bank’s branch and make sure it's authorized to sell SGBs
- Fill in the necessary details in the application form and attach necessary documents like PAN card, address proof, and identity proof.
- Make a payment, once your documents are verified, via cash, cheque, or online transfer.
How to buy sovereign gold bonds online via Upstox
Purchasing Sovereign Gold Bonds via Upstox is a straightforward process. With just a few clicks, you can invest in a secure and profitable avenue. Here are the steps for getting started with buying SGBs on Upstox:
- Login to Upstox: Start by logging into your Upstox account. You can do so by clicking here.
- Review SGB details: Before making an investment, ensure you go through the details of the Sovereign Gold Bonds.
- Apply: Once you've reviewed the details, click on the 'Apply' button.
- Select units: Choose the number of units you wish to purchase. Remember, you can select anywhere between 1 to 4,000 units.
- Payment: Choose your preferred payment mode and complete the transaction.
- Confirmation: That's it! Your order has been placed.
Next, Upstox will forward your order to the Exchange on the application's closing date. If your application details are correct, you will be informed about your allotment status by a specified date. The units will then be transferred to your Demat account. If, for some reason, your application doesn't go through, the order amount will be credited back to your account within one working day.
If you're an Upstox user or considering becoming one, you can refer to a detailed step-by-step guide on the platform. There you will find detailed visual guides, for both their new and old app versions, to assist you in the SGB purchase process. Ensure you refer to these screenshots if you need visual assistance.
- Safety first: SGBs are backed by the Government of India, making them a secure investment avenue.
- Beyond physical gold: SGBs offer the benefits of gold investment without the challenges of storage, security, or theft concerns.
- Financial gains: With potential capital appreciation linked to gold prices and a fixed interest rate, SGBs promise both growth and steady income.
- Tax benefits: Enjoy tax exemptions on capital gains upon redemption and potential indexation benefits for long-term holdings.
- Easy online purchase: Platforms like Upstox simplify the SGB buying process, making it accessible to all.
- Diversify with gold: Incorporate SGBs in your portfolio for diversification and reduce the overall risk and volatility of your investments.
Remember, investing in gold is not just about the returns but also about the security and stability it offers in volatile markets. But like any investment, it's essential to do your research and stay informed. Remember, every investment shines brighter with knowledge. So, equip yourself, make informed decisions, and may your investments always glitter!