return to news
  1. IndiaAI Expo to stay shut on Feb 19 amid security curbs, to get extra day on Feb 21

Business News

IndiaAI Expo to stay shut on Feb 19 amid security curbs, to get extra day on Feb 21

Upstox

3 min read | Updated on February 18, 2026, 13:50 IST

Twitter Page
Linkedin Page
Whatsapp Page

SUMMARY

The AI Impact Summit exhibition at Bharat Mandapam will remain closed on February 19 due to security arrangements for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s inauguration and the presence of global leaders.

IndiaAI Expo

Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the inauguration of India AI Impact Expo, at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi. (PMO via PTI Photo)

The exhibition segment of AI Impact Summit will remain closed for the public on Thursday, February 19, and instead be extended by a day to February 21 after heavy crowds and organisational lapses drew widespread criticism from attendees.

Open FREE Demat Account within minutes!
Join now

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to inaugurate the summit on February 19, but Electronics and IT Secretary S. Krishnan said the expo would remain shut that day to avoid inconvenience to the public amid tight security arrangements.

“The expo will remain closed on February 19. It has been extended by a day due to huge enthusiasm. It will remain open on Saturday, February 21,” Krishnan told reporters on Wednesday.

He said around 20 heads of state, including French President Emmanuel Macron, are expected at the inaugural session.

“We don’t want any inconvenience to the public due to restrictions, that is why it has been decided to not open the expo tomorrow,” Krishnan said.

The Expo brings together global technology firms, startups, academia and research institutions, Union ministries, state governments and international partners.

It also features 13 country pavilions, showcasing international collaboration in the Artificial Intelligence (AI) ecosystem. These include pavilions from Australia, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Serbia, Estonia, Tajikistan and Africa.

The India AI Impact Summit, billed as one of the world’s largest artificial intelligence gatherings and hosted at Bharat Mandapam, opened on Monday to packed halls, long queues and patchy mobile connectivity.

Delegates also complained of poor signage, limited seating and confusion over entry procedures involving digital QR codes and physical passes.

Some exhibitors and speakers said they were left scrambling after exhibition halls were suddenly cleared ahead of security sweeps for high-level arrivals.

Several attendees took to social media to voice concerns over access restrictions, lack of basic amenities and, in some cases, alleged theft of equipment from booths during security clearances.

Union IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw on Tuesday apologised for the opening-day problems, calling the turnout “phenomenal” and promising smoother operations in the coming days.

Addressing criticism over overcrowding, Vaishnaw said more than 70,000 people attended on Monday alone.

“This is the biggest AI summit in the entire world. The response is phenomenal,” he told reporters at the venue, adding that a “war room” had been set up to resolve issues in real time.

“If anybody has faced any problems yesterday, we apologise for that,” Vaishnaw said. “My entire team is working hard day and night for this summit.”

He also urged participants to share feedback, saying the organising team is working round the clock to improve coordination and ensure a better experience for all attendees.

Volatile markets?
Ride the trend with smart tools.
promotion image

About The Author

Upstox
Upstox News Desk is a team of journalists who passionately cover stock markets, economy, commodities, latest business trends, and personal finance.

Next Story