What is a Margin Report?
A margin report tells you how much margin is currently blocked from your overall available balance—against any open positions. It contains important fields such as MTM, total margin available, and any margin excess/shortfall. After the billing is completed, you will get a margin report on your registered email ID. This is a compliance report in the format prescribed by SEBI.
Understand your margins
- The exchange eases the uncertainties in the changing scrip prices by collecting a small amount from the trader. This margin is updated daily, based on the closing price of a particular scrip. When the closing prices get updated, the margins also get updated because of which the investor's balance is updated. So, it is important to note that if you have a position, the balance amount is updated daily to adjust the updated margins
- The exchange collects margin from both, the buyer and seller of the scrip
- Margin payments ensure that each investor is serious about buying and selling the shares
- Margins depend on the historical volatility of the scrips. Higher the volatility, higher the margin requirement
- You can download the latest margin details for different scrips from this DropBox link
Reading the Margin files downloaded from DropBox
Margin requirements of the scrips are updated daily by Upstox. It gives you margin requirements for all the scrips and position types.
So, you will know the required margin, if you:
- Place a new order Intraday or delivery order
- Place a Bracket or Cover order
- Have a carry-forwarded position
Understanding your margin report
Margin report is broadly divided into 2 parts
- User information
- Margin details
Your basic information like Upstox client code, address, exchange details, and date are shown in all the margin reports.
All the margin related details are shown here. Some of the important things to note are:
- The total amount available with the user is shown in the 'Funds' column
- Upstox does not provide margin on securities, bank guarantees, or from any other sources
- Total upfront margin split is shown in the table below
- Initial Margin = Span Margin + Option Premium
- Upfront Margin = Initial Margin + Exposure Margin
- MTM (Mark to Market) margin is calculated basis the current market value as per the closing price for T day (Trading day)
- Margin Status is the balance that is available in Upstox's account after margin related deductions
- For equity delivery, since the settlement takes place on T+2 day, the amount will be blocked until then by the exchange. Because of this, the user will get the margin report even for equity delivery until the settlement takes place
You can also see the open and closed positions for that day in the Margin report